About David Raines Community Health Centers
Mr. David Herndon Raines was born in Dexter, Arkansas in 1860. He became a successful and prosperous farmer in Pine Island, LA. He moved to 1419 Peabody Street in Shreveport. He was noted as a businessman, community builder and philanthropist, and by 1936 was worth more than a million dollars from oil holdings and properties owned. Mr. Raines was a Christian and responsible for the construction of the First Negro Church in the Herndon community. He was also concerned about the plight of black youth and the elderly. He made large contributions to Wiley College and the Home for Elderly Negroes in Dexter, Arkansas. His most outstanding contribution was to help boys who had been labeled juvenile delinquents and gave 22 acres of land for the sole purpose of providing facilities and space to help troubled boys become better citizens. The land is located in North Shreveport, formerly known as the Cooper Road Community, now known as Martin Luther King Jr. Community. The Home for Boys was built and kept in operation until the Caddo Parish Detention Home was erected. In 1963, the land was leased to the David Raines Association to build a recreation center. In 1970-71, the Police Jury accepted the responsibility of building and equipping a modern recreation community center complex to serve the people of the area.
The doors of David Raines Community Health Centers opened in 1971 as the Cooper Road Medical Clinic, a satellite of Louisiana State University Medical Center (LSU). Medical care was provided for the underserved, low income, and uninsured families. In 1992 David Raines Community Health Centers was established as a federally qualified health center under the medical leadership of Dr. Larry Daniels. Since its inception David Raines Community Health Centers has provided quality and affordable primary care services while expanding access to services at six community clinic locations in five cities throughout northwest Louisiana corporate headquarters in Shreveport.
DRCHC has evolved from a small clinical team to a vibrant company that employs approximately 150 staff members throughout the organization and has a board of directors that provide oversight for the direction and growth of the organization.
DRCHC is continuing his legacy. Serving our communities, yesterday, today and tomorrow...
To provide quality, accessible, affordable and comprehensive health care services to all.
To be the provider of choice for quality health care and an advocate for services that improve the quality of life.